The Green Healthcare Programme has identified considerable potential resource efficiency savings in the Irish healthcare system.
In the participating facilities between €3.4 million – €4.9 million potential annual savings have been identified in the hospitals surveyed.
- Food Waste¹: €2.8 million – €3.95 million
- Healthcare Risk Waste²: €389,000 – €704,000
- General Waste³: €187,600 – €228,000
This gives a national total of between €6.3 million – €9 million in potential annual savings identified.
- Food Waste¹: €5.2 million – €7.3 million
- Healthcare Risk Waste²: €730,000 – €1,225,000
- General Waste³: €345,000 – €510,000
Obviously, waste cannot be completely avoided. However, major waste reductions can be achieved nationally, generating significant savings, if improved resource efficiency practices are put in place – such as those developed and recommended by the Green Healthcare Programme.
¹ Food prepared but not consumed – this can be reduced.
² Non-risk items in healthcare risk waste – these can be diverted.
³ Recyclables in general landfill waste – these can be diverted.